What is a Christian?
- Last Updated: 16 May 2014 16 May 2014
WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN?
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
The central theme of the Bible is God’s love for you and all people. This love was revealed in Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, coming into the world as a human being, living a sinless life, dying on the cross for our sins and rising again from the dead. God’s love gift to all mankind through the cross of Jesus Christ is forgiveness and eternal life.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16,17
A Christian is any person who decides to receive God’s gift of salvation and by faith accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour.
A Christian lives in obedience to Jesus under His Lordship, reading His Word, seeking His will and following Him.
HOW DO I BECOME A CHRISTIAN ?
“In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no-one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” John 3:3
- Recognize that I am a sinner in need of God’s salvation. (Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12) Because of Adam’s sin of disobedience in the Garden of Eden, I was infected with spiritual death and a sin nature.
- Realize that I cannot save myself or earn salvation. (1 Timothy 2:5; Ephesians 2:8,9) Jesus Christ is the ONLY SAVIOUR; he died for me on the cross and rose again to save me.
- Repent of my sins. (Luke 13:5; Acts 17:30) To repent means turning my back on sin and turning to the Lord! It involves a CHANGE of heart, a change of mind, a change of direction – making a 180-degree turn away from sin, and living for God. Repentance doesn’t just mean I am sorry for my sins! It means going in the opposite direction from sin and surrendering my life totally to God.
- Receive Jesus Christ as my Lord. (John 1:12; Romans 10:9,10,13) I make a personal commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ by believing in my heart and confessing with my mouth that Jesus Christ died, was buried and rose again for me!
A SIMPLE PRAYER OF SALVATION
“I come to you as a sinner in need of your salvation. I believe and I confess that Jesus Christ died for me on the cross, to save me and set me free from all of my sins. I believe and I confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who rose from the dead; right now I receive the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour and Lord! I turn away from all of my sins and I thank you Lord for saving me and forgiving me today! Thank you for my new life in Christ and giving me righteousness, peace and joy. Amen”.
If you prayed this prayer in faith to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and you meant it with all your heart, CONGRATULATIONS! WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OF GOD! You are now a Christian and your new life in Christ has just begun! Please let us know and we will send you some free material to help you move on in your new life in Jesus Christ.